Elmwood is a flourishing post village of some eight years growth, near the north east corner [of Brant Township] and on the Grey County line. It is distant six miles north from Hanover and 12 miles from Walkerton. It is also a station on the Stratford and Lake Huron Railway. It contains three churches, (Methodist Episcopal, Mennonite and Evangelical), three blacksmith shops, two tailor shops, two saw mills, a planing mill, hotel, hardware and stove store, cooper shop, two shoe shops, a cabinet shop, livery, two carriage shops, two general stores, a shingle mill, pottery, and a population of 225. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.