Paisley is an incorporated village [in Elderslie Township] on the W.G.&B.R.R. distant 15 miles north of Walkerton, and about the same distance from Southampton. It is picturesquely situated, in a valley, at the confluence of the Teeswater and Saugeen rivers, which afford one of the finest water privileges in the country, and which have been taken advantage of by the erection of a number of mills and factories. It is surrounded by fertile agricultural country, and being on the line of railway, is an important shipping station and grain market. It only requires sufficient capital and enterprise to make it an important manufacturing centre, its water power being almost unexcelled. It contains five churches (Presbyterian, Church of Scotland, Methodist, Episcopal and Baptist), two drug stores, a jewellery store, two book stores, a tannery, livery stable, eleven general / grocery stores, three black smith shops, four hotels, a liquor store, four shoe stores, a printing office (the Paisley Advocate), a cooper shop, three carriage shops, three harness shops, a butcher shop, two photograph galleries, two grist mills, two saw mills, two woolen mills, three hardware stores, three tailor shops, three cabinet shops, five bakeries, a barber shop, marble shop, plow factory, three stove stores, two sash and blind factories, a bank, pump factory, foundry, and a population of 1000. Paisley was laid out by the Government in 1855, and incorporated as a village in 1873. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.