Southampton (Saugeen P. O.) is an incorporated village in the north-west corner [of Saugeen Township], on the Lake Huron shore, and at the mouth of the Saugeen River. It is also the northern terminus of the W.G.&B.R.R., and is distant 22 miles from Owen Sound, 32 from Kincardine, and the same distance from Walkerton. The town plot comprises an area of five square miles, but it is very sparsely populated, the total number of inhabitants being about 1,000. The harbour here is one of the finest on the lakes, and is a Government harbour of refuge, the Government having expended something like a quarter of a million dollars on its improvement. The North- West Transportation Co. and other lines of steamers call here regularly. Daily stages also connect it with Owen Sound and Kincardine. The village occupies a level plateau, and is regularly laid out with fine broad streets. The fishing interest is perhaps the most important trade of the village, large quantities being shipped from here annually. The Saugeen River affords an excellent water privilege, but it is slightly utilized. A very fine school building has lately been erected here. The main street contains the usual variety of business places and several good hotels. There are also several neat looking churches, and a large number of handsome private residences. The village was laid out in 1848 and was incorporated in 1858. First published in the “Bruce County Gazeteer and Business Directory for 1880-81” published by William W. Evans.